[mythtv-users] Lag while browsing over network?

William Pettersson enigma at strudel-hound.com
Mon Mar 12 06:57:36 UTC 2007

So, I've recently implemented my latest remote frontend (connected to
27" LCD TV, finally my first frontend that is only a myth frontend).
However, I feel that the frontend is laggy.  That is, if I'm browsing
through the menus (just menus, and any menu from file browsers to
setting up videos), everything has a 1-2 second lag.  Videos play fine
over my network (100mbit), and I've tested it and can sustain 10.2MB/s.
It's an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ with 256MB of RAM.  I'll admit it's a
bit low on RAM, but it's currently (idling since I'm at work) and using
just on 93MB

enigma at mythbox ~ $ free -m
              total       used       free     shared    buffers    cached
Mem:           249        154         95          0          4        56
-/+ buffers/cache:         93        156
Swap:          980        325        654

As to hard drive speeds, I get the following
mythbox enigma # hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
  Timing cached reads:   1476 MB in  2.00 seconds = 736.31 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  102 MB in  3.05 seconds =  33.49 MB/sec

Not magnificent, but decent enough (I'd think) for running mythtv.

The only slightly degraded performance factor that I can see is the
video card, which is a 9600Pro running on the open-source Radeon drivers
(ATI ones are crashing as usual for me).

So, anyone know of any reason why this frontend would have slight lag
while navigating menus?  My other frontend that is on the 100mbit
network is noticably faster, and the only main differences are that is a
beefier machine.  Any ideas?

Also, anyone have a script that can take "screenshots" of movies, then
set the screenshots as covers?  I've got a bunch of video clips (music
videos) that I'd like to do this too.

William