[mythtv-users] Screensaver

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 07:08:52 UTC 2007

> I want the screensaver to come on when the TV is not playing for say 10
> minutes.  For example, I might be looking at the menu for 10 minutes or be
> looking at paused TV for 10 minutes.
>
> So the screensaver shouldn't come on WHILE I'm watching TV and I shouldn't
> need to disable the screensaver.

I've been wondering this as well. I recently bought a plasma TV which
has a screensaver built in. Here's some valuable advice for all plasma
TV buyers - don't let _anyone_ tell you that A) burn-in isn't an issue
on today's new plasma screens, or B) the TV's screensaver will prevent
it happening anyway. My screensaver doesn't kick in if the MythTV box
is displaying anything on the screen (via the VGA port in my case). I
have noticed a very slight ghosting of the MythTV menu if  the screen
happens to be displaying a pure white background (not that that ever
happens under normal conditions, but this shows that burn in IS an
issue).

So I'd like to use some sort of MythTV / X screensaver too. I'll give
these suggestions a go. One question I have, though - how do you
deactivate the screensaver if it kicks in and you only have a remote
control, not a mouse or a keyboard?

Regards,
Phill