[mythtv-users] Air2PC over cable outlet?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Mar 12 16:00:53 UTC 2007

Andrew Gallatin [gallatin at cs.duke.edu] wrote:

> Basically, you don't.  My old Air2PC never picked up QAM worth a darn.

To be slightly more clear:

The older Air2PCs were never really designed for QAM, and if they
work, you are very lucky.  I think it partially depends on what
frequencies your cable provider uses.

I live in Cary, and we have the same TWC QAM lineup as you do in
Durham, to the extent that all the frequencies are the same.  My
Air2PC could pick up ABC and FOX (C113) almost tolerably well, with
only a few breakups per minute.  But I could never get PBS (C90) or
NBC (C111) reliably.  I think CBS (C85) was marginal with a breakup
every 10 seconds or so.  I gave up and installed a big antenna (which
I realize is not an option for you).

You'll be much better off to ditch the old Air2PC and buy a newer
card, based on a 5th gen tuner.  With a new card, you should be able
to get QAM with no problem, and your OTA reception will be a *LOT*
better than with the old Air2PC.  You might even be happy with an
indoor OTA antenna..

Drew