[mythtv-users] DVD Rip and Recent DVDs

Justin Moore justin at cs.duke.edu
Mon Mar 12 20:52:14 UTC 2007

>> I don't know a solution,
>> but if you own the DVD's, you could just download them, since you own
>> them it wouldnt be illegal, and from my experience downloading doesnt
>> take much longer then ripping them
>
> Do you mean to suggest that there is a standard procedure of
> downloading a movie if I already own the DVD?  I'm not aware of
> anything like that, I could certainly go that route.

Disclaim: IANALBIDTACLC (but I did take a copyright law course).

Under U.S. law, the idea that you can legally download an .iso of a DVD
you own is a myth, unless the .iso is coming from a studio-authorized
channel (I am not aware that any of these exist).  If some third-party
is making an iso available without permission from the studios, they are
illegally distributing copyrighted works.  Just because it might seem
"fair" to some people, it doesn't make it legal.  And just because you
may be able to create digital copies of audio recordings doesn't mean
that the same exemptions exist for videos (the exemption comes from the
Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, also known as the law that killed the
DAT format).

This is not legal advise, consult a lawyer, these views are my own and
do not represent those of my employer, spouse, cats, etc, etc.

-jdm

Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
Email:	justin at cs.duke.edu
Web:	http://www.cs.duke.edu/~justin/