[mythtv-users] DVD Rip and Recent DVDs

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Mon Mar 12 21:10:56 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:52:14 -0400 (EDT)
Justin Moore <justin at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> >> I don't know a solution,
> >> but if you own the DVD's, you could just download them, since you own
> >> them it wouldnt be illegal, and from my experience downloading doesnt
> >> take much longer then ripping them
> >
> > Do you mean to suggest that there is a standard procedure of
> > downloading a movie if I already own the DVD?  I'm not aware of
> > anything like that, I could certainly go that route.
>
> Disclaim: IANALBIDTACLC (but I did take a copyright law course).
>
> Under U.S. law, the idea that you can legally download an .iso of a DVD
> you own is a myth, unless the .iso is coming from a studio-authorized
> channel (I am not aware that any of these exist).  If some third-party
> is making an iso available without permission from the studios, they are
> illegally distributing copyrighted works.  Just because it might seem
> "fair" to some people, it doesn't make it legal.  And just because you
> may be able to create digital copies of audio recordings doesn't mean
> that the same exemptions exist for videos (the exemption comes from the
> Audio Home Recording Act of 1992, also known as the law that killed the
> DAT format).
>
> This is not legal advise, consult a lawyer, these views are my own and
> do not represent those of my employer, spouse, cats, etc, etc.

Regardless of your status of IANALBIDTACLC, I would say that downloading is NOT a good idea because as we have seen with the RIAA and music downloaders that they shoot first and ask questions later.  Not that the RIAA would do this, I think its the MPAA...

So even if the law says you can do it, you'd have to hire a lawyer and go and defend yourself in one of these bulk lawsuits...  Not worth it by any sense of the word.