[mythtv-users] My MySql hell :-)

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 22:18:31 UTC 2007

I'm in I'm in I'm in!

Thanks to everyone who helped, especially Peter, Nick and RG Newbury
(from an earlier thread of mine)!

Here's what I had to do to get around mysql problems (writing this here
for my own reference as I feel sure I'll need it again someday!).

Uninstall (using synaptic package manager) mysql-server and myhtv-database

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/mysql

to remove mysql's settings.

Log out and back in (not sure if this is necessary)

re-instal mysql-server (sudo apt-get install mysql-server)

check that I can log in (mysql -u root -p   ... Enter as password when
requested)

sudo apt-get install mythtv-database

then ran the mc.sql script
  cd /usr/share/mythtv/sql
  mysql -u root -p < mc.sql

I was still having trouble, but though it was down to all of my settings
being 192.168.0.2 rather than 'localhost'. So I changed every mysql.txt
file back to 'localhost' and now all seems fine.

Thanks again everyone. I wasn't sure how I was going to get here!

Cheers
Damian