[mythtv-users] Problem getting AverTVHD A180 going.

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 13 02:35:18 UTC 2007

mike wrote:
>> OK. atscscan is a synonym for 'scan' as far as I can tell.
>> I presume that you have the card and its driver installed properly...
>> that is, no error messages in  dmesg... and it reports that it is
>> installing, and then has installed the firmware. And there is a set of
>> folders under /dev/dvb/adapter0
>>
>> Unless you can positively state those things, all bets are off.
>>
>> The commnand line you have given DOES NOT DO WHAT YOU WANT!
>>
>> scan -c only scans the card for services on the channel already tuned.
>> You  have never, as far as I can tell, actually tuned the card to
>> anything, so you are getting nothing...Think of it as tuning to 'channel
>> 1'.
>>

>> You need to use:
>>
>> scan -a 0 -f 0 -d 0 -U US-Cable-Standard-Frequencies-QAM256
>>
>> This tells scan to try every frequency in that file...I may have the
>> name of the file wrong... its so long, I immediately shortened it on my
>> machine...The other switches force the use of adapter0, frontend 0,
>> demux0 (in case you have multiple cards). The rest of the defaults are
>> acceptable for your purposes. This will take quite some time to run. The
>> summary is what you want.
>>
>> This will scan for *every* available service. Some will be encrypted,
>> some will be radio. You can play with the command line switches to see
>> what happens if you restrict the search, later. At the moment you want
>> to get SOMETHING... ANYTHING.
>>
>> NOTE that this card will not decrypt encrypted HD channels. I presume
>> you mention that fact, to confirm that you think you should be getting
>> some QAM256 encoded, but unencrypted channels with this card. It also
>> appears that you may be confusing digital with HD...Digital is a
>> transport method. SD and HD are quality levels. With your card, you can
>> get digital streams. In the US, you should get a number of SD streams,
>> and a few HD streams, being the cable equivalents of the local (OTA) HD
>> broadcasts which the FCC mandates that the cableco distribute
>> *unencrypted*. In Canada, anything HD is encrypted on cable... dammit.
>>

>> Goeff
>
> Thanks Geoff...and I mean a sincere THANKS! for having the patience to help me
> get this working, and it is!!!
>
> I translated the commands you described for my stuff, and found that
>
> scan -a 0 -f 0 -d
> 0 -U /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/atsc/us-Cable-Standard-center-frequencies-QAM256
>
> ...actually got over 300 channels. Once I knew that the card COULD get
> channels, I went back to mythtv-setup and added the card, and did the scan
> using "cable" and "QAM256" It works, mostly...there's some hanging up where
> it only gets "partial lock" sometimes, but overall it's working!
>
> My channel editor is showing lots of garbage, I'm sure there's a lot of
> duplicates in there, and lables that don't mean anything to me... but I'll go
> back and sort that out later.
>
> Once I get it all sorted out, it's gonna be very cool.

> [...]

You are welcome...And the next time some poor guy is thrashing around
trying to get his stuff working, it will be your turn to hold *his* hand
and lead him through it!...Sort of a 'pay it forward'.

And on that occasion, you will be ready and you will really understand
how it works!

Now you get to spend a couple of hours using azap in one console and
mplayer in another to see what the hell all those channels are! I get
about 450 in total of which only 32 or so are usable.

Glad to be of service.

Geoff