[mythtv-users] Mythweb DST buglet

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Mar 13 08:59:12 UTC 2007

    > Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:56:51 -0500 (EST)
    > From: f-myth-users at media.mit.edu

       > > Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:38:38 -0400
       > > From: "Sean Healy" <schealy at gmail.com>

       > > I noticed and was able to replicate this too.  It appears the error is with
       > > MySQL keeping time based on the /etc/localtime settings when MySQL starts.

       > > So if you updated your tzdata but haven't rebooted or restarted MySQL since
       > > doing the update, you should probably go ahead and do that.

    > I'll bet the crucial thing is "since DST began", rather than "since
    > the update".  E.g., I rebooted the machine after fixing its TZ data,
    > but the backend (and MySQL) have themselves been running since March
    > 10, which is before DST took effect.

    > I'll see if this still happens after the next time I boot the backend
    > (and, with it, MySQL).

    > (I wonder if this happened -every- year and nobody happened to notice?
    > It'd be easy enough to lie to the machine about what time it is and
    > see, but I'm not going to do that with one that's in production.)

    > [Either that, or PHP has some cached idea of me being in a "US"
    > timezone and not an "America" timezone, and that didn't get reset,
    > and won't.  It'd be interesting to know whether people running modern
    > releases (e.g., ones that knew months ago about the changes to DST)
    > see anything like this.  Since this is cosmetic, I'll live w/it until
    > the day the machine is updated to a modern myth & to Dapper or something.]

As it turns out, I just had to boot the backend.  The behavior is now gone.

It had certainly been booted after changing the tzdata, but had -not-
been booted since the actual transition to DST, until right now.

If your machine had its DST data fixed "long ago" (e.g., more than a
couple weeks---did it?) and you still saw this behavior, it might be
bug in how something mythweb calls is handling DST itself, rather than
being related to changing the DST rules themselves.