[mythtv-users] ivtv doesn't seem to register with KWorld Terminator

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 01:50:49 UTC 2007

On 14/03/07, Angus <sylvania at istop.com> wrote:
> Nick Morrott wrote:

> >>     That's very true, but if you'll look at my post again, you'll see
> >> that it has nothing to do with not making the hardware work, but making
> >> it work.
> >>

> > Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood. Why are you loading ivtv and checking
> > its syslog output? Do you have another card that is supported by ivtv
> > that is not being detected? Your Terminator card is *not* supported by
> > ivtv.
> >

>     Well in that case, I guess it doesn't matter. The instructions I was
> following gave no such indication.

Please post a link to the instructions.

> > You also seem to be running a 586 kernel - what CPU are you running?
> >

>     800MHz Celeron Coppermine

Using a (as I understand it) software encoder capture card requires
~1GHz of CPU - it'll be touch and go whether your Celeron will give
you acceptable results. Read the MythTV docs for more info on this.

> > There are more instructions on getting 7134-based capture cards
> > working here: http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/Generic_SAA7134_Card_Installation.
> > Note you may need to tweak the tuner option for the saa7134 module and
> > enable the i2c scan per the link.
> >
>     Ok, I followed the directions on that page, and I seem to be getting
> the same sort of dmesg thing:
> saa7133[0]: found at 0000:01:07.0, rev: 209, irq: 10, latency: 32, mmio:
> 0xd4001000
> saa7133[0]: subsystem: 1131:0000, board: UNKNOWN/GENERIC
> [card=0,autodetected]
> saa7133[0]: board init: gpio is 40
> saa7133[0]: Huh, no eeprom present (err=-5)?
> saa7133[0]: i2c scan: found device @ 0x96  [???]
> saa7133[0]: registered device video0 [v4l2]
> saa7133[0]: registered device vbi0
>
>     This is a little different from what they had. It doesn't look very
> promising. Do I need to give any attention there? I'm not particularly
> interested in the capture features at this moment (not that I mind

The EEPROM messages don't look promising. The only other advice I can
give is to check out http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_saa7134 if you
haven't already.

You can test the card with a TV program such a tvtime to see if the
card actually works.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: