[mythtv-users] MacOSX frontend & 1080i

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 03:14:12 UTC 2007

On 3/13/07, Andrew Kimpton <awk at awkward.org> wrote:
> Todd Ignasiak wrote:

> >> It's a very long time since I looked at it - but there is code in
> >> Myth's videoout 'portions' which attempts to get the refresh rate for
> >> the display but when that fails (there is no refresh rate for a
> >> digitally connected LCD Panel) defaults to 60Hz. If I recall there is
> >> a second place where this reported value is then multiplied by a
> >> constant (I thought 4 - but that doesn't make sense given the reported
> >> value of 150Hz).
> >>
> >> Some of this may be different if you're using the CoreVideo output
> >> mechanism which I wrote some months ago but I don't think was ever
> >> committed - is it possible that Andrew G & Todd are not running the
> >> same videout device (CoreVideo vs. 'standard'). The reported refresh
> >> rates may be different between these two approaches (see para. 1 above).
> >>

> > Hi Andrew,
> >

> > Also -- I am using the AC3 passthrough, based on your patch, and that
> > works great.  DD5.1 audio from broadcast HD, and DVDs via the internal
> > player.
> >

> Todd - when you performed your comparitive analysis with Andrew G's
> results were you using the AC3 pass through or a stereo analog connection ?

On my Mini, I am using only AC3 passthrough.   But, on my MacBook Pro,
I just used the analog output.

There have been several reports of poor video playback when using high
resolution displays, like 1080p.   This evening I dug out an old CRT
display to try higher resolutions and see if I could replicate the
problem.

I found that everything worked fine at 1600x1200, but when I switched
to 1920x1080p, the video became very choppy.  So, it seems to be
related to the resolution being used.