[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and comcast digital cable. Will it work? Channels?

Tim Berger tim.berger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 22:25:07 UTC 2007

On 3/14/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I am getting ready to buy a HD capture device and the HDHomeRun looks
> like a good choice. The big unknown is if it will work with this crappy
> Comcast cable network. The comcast web site says that their hd settop
> box will not receive hd unless I pay the extra premium which makes me
> wonder if the signal is sent encripted or just their box needs
> authorization.  Thus the subject line.... Anyone have experience with
> comcast?

Some channels may indeed be encrypted (like discovery HD) but I've found a
large number of channels in the clear, including discovery SD).  I'm in the
San Jose, CA area.  I got HDHR mostly because some channels just don't come
in well over my pvr-250's.  They're beautiful on the HDHR.  The main pain
with using the home run is they (comcast) does not send a useful channel
identifier for many channels so you won't know what channel 108#0 is until
you compare it to one of your analog channels then go into the myth channel
editor to make adjustments.  HD network channels come in great.  They are
not encrypted in my area.

TIA,
> Bill

-Tim