[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD's

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Mar 14 23:42:12 UTC 2007

Jared Greenwald wrote:
> On 3/14/07, *Yan Seiner* <yan at seiner.com <mailto:yan at seiner.com>> wrote:
>

>     I use mencoder (not myth) to rip DVDs, and I get a full-length DVD
>     into
>     about 900 MB - 1.4 GB.  Cartoons take a lot more space than live
>     action.
>
>     I do two-pass encoding, and a single DVD takes about 3-6 hours to
>     complete both passes.
>

> Can you elaborate a little more on this process?  A howto on the wiki
> or something?

Until I get to the wiki, here's a brief synopsis:

1.  Get and build mplayer/mencoder.  Most likely you will have to build
from source to get the latest codecs, etc.

2.  Install lsdvd.

3.  run lsdvd to get a listing of the tracks.  At this point, I usually
play the longest tracks to see what's on them.  Some DVDs will have two
identical tracks, except that one is in 4:3 and the other 16:9.  Or
sometimes one will be in French and one in English, or some such
nonsense.  Look through the DVD and play any track that looks
interesting.  Pay attention to the sound as well; sometimes the primary
track is a french or spanish dubbing, or 2 channel stereo.

4.  run mplayer dvd://[my track] -vf cropdetect ; mplayer will print out
its idea of a bounding box so you can trim out the black border.  This
can change so make sure you skip ahead far enough to get past the titles
and so on.  Read the manpage for mencoder on that as well.

5.  Now that you have the track and crop info, edit the encode script
(read the comments).

<------------cut here--------------->

#!/bin/sh

TITLE=My_Title
CROP=My_Crop_Box # add your crop box that mplayer suggested.  You may want to crop more or less.
ASPECT="2.35"  # whatever the correct aspect may be - usually 4/3 or 16/9 but not always
BITRATE=1400 # the higher, the better quality but larger file 900 is marginal, 1400 is good - for really, really fast action you want more
TRACKS="1" # list of the tracks you want to rip - some DVDs will have multiple tracks

# read the mplayer manpage on interlacing and frame rates.
# Basically, for TV source you want to use the following two lines (uncomment):

#VF=kerndeint,softskip,hqdn3d,crop=$CROP
#OFPS="30000/1001"

# for 'major motion picture' (i.e. telecine) stuff you want the following two lines (comment out for TV source)

VF=pullup,softskip,hqdn3d,crop=$CROP
OFPS="24000/1001"

AVILANG="-alang en"  # the language of your choice

for TRACK in $TRACKS ; do

	echo TITLE: $TITLE
	echo TRACK: $TRACK
	lsdvd -t $TRACK -x

	mencoder dvd://$TRACK \
		-vf $VF -ovc lavc -oac lavc \
		-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:turbo:acodec=mp2:aspect=$ASPECT:vbitrate=$BITRATE \
		-ofps $OFPS $AVILANG -o $TITLE-$TRACK.avi

	mencoder dvd://$TRACK \
		-vf $VF -ovc lavc -oac lavc \
		-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:acodec=mp2:aspect=$ASPECT:vbitrate=$BITRATE \
		-ofps $OFPS $AVILANG -o $TITLE-$TRACK.avi

	done

<------------cut here---------------->

6.  Run the script.  It will take hours.  It will make one avi per
track, no menus or alternate endings or anything.  If you see a lot of
"skipping frame" or "duplicate frame" you selected the wrong framerate
and deinterlace method.  Re-edit the script and uncomment the other two
lines.  Movies usually change frame rates/interlace methods several
times during titles, so wait about 5 or 10 minutes before you panic. If
'skipping frame' is still scrolling by 5 minutes into the movie, you
have the wrong deinterlace method picked.

7.  Copy the resulting avi(s) to your /path/myth/movies directory

8.  In myth, re-read the movies directory and add IMDB stuff.

9.  Enjoy the movie.  The resulting avi will play with mplayer.  You can
select other codecs (wmv2??) to get windows-compatible avis.  See the
mplayer manpage.  (You can also use a similar method except use mpeg2
encoding to reduce the size of the TV recordings by about 80%.  Myth
will play these but there are some issues with fast forward that I
haven't sorted out yet, though.)

:-)