[mythtv-users] Fun with modelines

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Mar 15 14:22:56 UTC 2007

I've been waging a battle with my Sharp 37D6U.  It suffers from horrible
overscan.  Unfortunately, I jumped on the LCD bandwagon a bit early and
my panel is pretty brain damaged when it comes to PC connections.

Sharp "tech support" is worse than useless; they alternate between
denying that it's possible to hook up a PC to the panel and spouting
complete nonsense; the idiot on the line yesterday started arguing with
me when I told him I was driving the panel with a computer, and telling
me my TV can't receive HD broadcasts.  (Newsflash:  Apparently he
doesn't understand the difference between receive and scale; the TV
can't *display* HD as it is limited to 1366x768 resolution, but it *can*
receive HD broadcasts....)

Anyway, apparently both the nVidia driver and the panel do overscan
scaling.  To get complete manual control of the modelines, you have to
add the following two lines to the "Device" section of your xorg file:

    Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
    Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"

This effectively disables all automagic configuration and tells X to
send the exact modeline you specified.

I suggest you start with a known-good modeline and then tweak it....

--Yan