[mythtv-users] OT: MCE Remote

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Mar 15 16:47:13 UTC 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 09:53, Larry Sanderson wrote:
> I just got my remote control working, and am very happy with it... except
> for one minor detail: It is a Windows MCE remote, and has this big button
> right in the middle with a Widows logo.
>
> Has anyone succesfully swapped out that logo with perhaps a penguin?  Yes,
> this is a bit silly, but I was going to open up the remote, print out a
> small colorful penguin, and glue it in place.  The problem is the last time
> I tried this, I was eventually successful at getting into the remote, but I
> had mutilated a lot of the plastic near the seam.
>
> Any suggestions?

I've got a similar remote that came with my Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2 (see the
photo on the wiki entry I created,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2). I've not
attempted to open this remote; however, I have opened other remotes --
specifically, One For All JP1 remotes (http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/). I
ended up slightly marring the edges when I opened mine, but not (IMHO) too
badly. I seem to recall seeing a discussion somewhere on a JP1 site about how
to open up the remote without causing any damage to it (too late for my
initial attempts), so you might want to peruse the JP1 sites. (JP1 hackers
often open their remotes to add JP1 headers or to add or replace their
EEPROMs, so this topic comes up from time to time in a JP1 context.)
Unfortunately, I don't recall an exact URL, so you'll have to go digging. Of
course, it's entirely possible that your remote is held together in a
different way from the way One For All remotes are built, so advice for
opening a JP1 remote might not apply to yours. It might be worth spending a
few minutes searching for JP1 advice, though.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com