[mythtv-users] capture card setup, audio device options

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Mar 16 13:32:18 UTC 2007

On Friday 16 March 2007 09:03, Michael Lynch wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Alan Calvert <cal at graggrag.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A naive little question - the only options I'm seeing for audio device
> > selection in capture card setup are the dsp's (ie, no alsa/jack). Is
> > that normal?
>
> Yes, but it is also a free-text area, meaning you can type whatever
> you'd like in those boxes.

One additional point: Be sure you're using the correct device type (Analog V4L
Capture Card, MPEG-2 Encoder Card, etc.).  Not all devices require
configuring a separate audio device. In particular, the MPEG-2 cards (such as
the popular Hauppauge PVR-x50/PVR-500 line) send audio in the MPEG-2 stream
along with the video. The most popular card type that needs a separate audio
device is a framegrabber (aka software encoder), identified in mythtv-setup
as Analog V4L Capture Card.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com