[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause -- what does it mean, really?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 21:28:18 UTC 2007

On 3/16/07, Bryan Mayland <bmayland at leoninedev.com> wrote:
>     I've turned on -v playback on the frontend and all it tells me is
> that "video is behind audio".  It definitely isn't a heat problem.  The
> only thing I can think of is that there's a problem with either the dual
> core, or power throttling, but I haven't had any time to play with it.
> Something I've just thought of was to maybe disable XV and see if it
> does it? (`export NO_XV=1` in a terminal before launching mythfrontend
> in that terminal).
>
>     Let us know if you find something!

Well this is quite interesting.  I just logged in remotely to check my
logs (I'm still at work).  The last lines in mythfrontend are:

2007-03-16 15:50:57.877 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
2007-03-16 15:50:57.877 LiveTV forcing JumpTo 1
2007-03-16 15:50:57.877 LiveTV forcing Jump

(i.e. it's hung).  The log file is 1.7GB, and maxed out my root
partition so there's no space left (which I presume is why it hung).
This is actually the second time this has happened.  In
/var/log/messages:

Mar 16 15:51:29 mythbox kernel: ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers
are full. Dropping data.
Mar 16 15:51:29 mythbox kernel: ivtv0: Cause: the application is not
reading fast enough.
Mar 16 16:01:02 mythbox auditd[2260]: Audit daemon has no space left
on logging partition
Mar 16 16:01:02 mythbox auditd[2260]: Audit daemon is suspending
logging due to no space left on logging partition.

I'm already using enc_mpg_buffers=16 for ivtv to try and alleviate
that symptom, ever since the first incident.  Evidently something else
is causing it.  Not, this all happened *after* I disabled the cpuspeed
governor.  Hrmm...