[mythtv-users] PS3 as FrontEnd

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 17 00:12:58 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 5:52 PM, Yan-Fa Li wrote:

> On 3/16/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've just acquired a PS3 with Yellow Dog Linux installed.
>>
>> There has been some discussion of using the PS3 as a Myth frontend,
>> and several folks, including me, were dubious about that working,
>> mainly because the nVidia graphic chip is only supported as a simple
>> frame buffer.
>>

> Perhaps once the nouveau guys get going this will no longer be an
> issue.  The PS3 GPU is supposed to be based upon a 7800 core.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NVIDIA

Yeah, I'd guess the GPU will be supported to some extent eventually.
I'm not sure if it is nVidia or Sony that's holding up the works.

Now trying standard DVD vobs, they look pretty good, but I'm not
scaling them to fill the whole screen, I'm running out of time for
tonight.

Also haven't tried digital audio yet, just using analog stereo at
this point, I'm not sure if the ALSA setup on YDL supports the
digital output or not, it should but I'll believe it when I hear it.