[mythtv-users] PS3 as FrontEnd

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 17 00:43:56 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 6:24 PM, Matthew McClement wrote:

> I don't think it'd help anything, as otherwise the xorg nvidia driver
> would be adaptable(it's fairly 2D complete I believe, it's just 3D
> that
> is lacking).
>
> I think the main problem is that the PS3 Hypervisor cuts off all
> access
> to the 3D hardware, or rather, it only virtualises enough of the
> graphics adapter to support FB.

Quite correct, I believe. I've been following the YDL list and that's
exactly what seems to be the case. This no doubt has to do with the
PS3 not outputting HD unless it sees an HDCP-capable device on the
end of the cable. (Dang DRM).

I'm driving an HDCP equipped monitor. I don't know if the Linux video
output pays any attention to that or not. I guess I'll have to scare
up a non-HDCP display and see what happens.

> The following has a good description of how the separation is done on
> the PS3:
>
> http://moss.csc.ncsu.edu/~mueller/cluster/ps3/doc/
> LinuxKernelOverview.html

I also just locked up solid after about 10 minutes of playing a Myth-
recorded SD file via NFS, not sure what happened yet, trying to do a
post mortem now if I can SSH into the box. It was looking good until
the lockup, which may be NFS or network related, as it locked up the
NFS server too.

So we're not there yet, just wanted to report that so far it does not
look totally impossible. Even if all I can do is play Myth files with
Mplayer I think I got my money's worth, very nice little machine for
the price.

Dang that thing runs hot ! If anyone gets one to play with I'd
suggest mounting it vertically, seems to run a bit cooler if the heat
can gush out the top (side).