[mythtv-users] PC configuration

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 17 02:29:58 UTC 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Jason Prokopowich wrote:

> I want to set up a Mythtv box (client and server) with the
> following (using some old parts):
> 1133 MHz P3
> 500 MB memory
> GeForce 2 GTS (deluxe) Graphic Card
> Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 pvr card
> 100 Gig Hard drive
>
> What are your thoughts on this configuration? Should I even bother
> or should this do the trick?

Assuming you only want to do SD (and given the PVR-350 I think that's
a valid assumption) you should be able to make it work, though I'm
not too sure about that old graphics card. You probably could make
the 350's decoder work if you have to but that's not a good long-term
solution, I'd guess a more modern graphics card will be your first
purchase, a 5200 is fairly cheap.

Anything faster than a PII 600Mhz. *should*  be able to decode
MPEG-2, assuming you're not trying to do much else at the time.

100 GB will limit you to about 40 hours of DVD-quality video, but
it;s certainly enough to get you started.