[mythtv-users] Getting lirc working

Jon jon at sd-6.org
Sat Mar 17 04:58:15 UTC 2007

Angus wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>> Angus wrote:

>>>     Ah, yes. But that module loads automatically with saa7134.
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_Global_TV_Terminator#Remote
>>> also says that I might need a patch for that, which is apparently got
>>> something to do with v4l, but I can't been able to get anyone there to
>>> help me with that yet.

>>>     I did, and the results were not remarkable. Anything I pressed
>>> returned this:
>>> KeyPress event, serial 28, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
>>>     root 0x45, subw 0x0, time 959597, (-218,-78), root:(400,300),
>>>     state 0x0, keycode 177 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
>>>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>>>     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>>>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>>>
>>> KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
>>>     root 0x45, subw 0x0, time 959645, (-218,-78), root:(400,300),
>>>     state 0x0, keycode 177 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
>>>     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
>>>     XFilterEvent returns: False
>>>
>>> Except for the "time" field, this is exactly what was returned with
>>> every key I pressed. I get the feeling that means it isn't working here
>>> either.
>>>

>> I suspect your remote is not supported by the driver yet.  If you are
>> feeling adventurous, see the section titled "How to add remote control
>> support to a card" at the url above.  I once added support for a cx88
>> based card before, it's not very difficult.
>>

>     Hang on, it *is* supported. If you search for
> SAA7134_BOARD_KWORLD_TERMINATOR in saa7134-cards.c, you'll see what
> should be support for my card.
Again, going solely of my experience with one card.  The card worked and
was detected properly.  The remote didn't work.  Thats what I had to do
to get it to work.  In the end, I ended up making a serial receiver
because I didn't like the cheap remote that came with my card (buttons
would stick). Costs about $8 and a ten minutes at radio shack.