[mythtv-users] PC configuration

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 11:55:30 UTC 2007

> On Mar 16, 2007, at 8:21 PM, Jason Prokopowich wrote:
> > I want to set up a Mythtv box (client and server) with the
> > following (using some old parts):
> > 1133 MHz P3
> > 500 MB memory
> > GeForce 2 GTS (deluxe) Graphic Card
> > Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-350 pvr card
> > 100 Gig Hard drive
> >
> > What are your thoughts on this configuration? Should I even bother
> > or should this do the trick?
> >

> Assuming you only want to do SD (and given the PVR-350 I think that's
> a valid assumption) you should be able to make it work, though I'm
> not too sure about that old graphics card. You probably could make
> the 350's decoder work if you have to but that's not a good long-term
> solution, I'd guess a more modern graphics card will be your first
> purchase, a 5200 is fairly cheap.
>
> Anything faster than a PII 600Mhz. *should*  be able to decode
> MPEG-2, assuming you're not trying to do much else at the time.
>
> 100 GB will limit you to about 40 hours of DVD-quality video, but
> it;s certainly enough to get you started.

If the graphics card has TV out (if your not just using a monitor), it
should be fine to use since its not doing any XvMC, or of course you
can try to use the PVR-350, which lately seems to be hit or miss due
to lack of continued support for TV-out.

I too will mention the hard drive size, take at least 10GB off for the
OS, etc. Considering you can buy a 320GB drive for under $100 (or
smaller for less), I'd consider a second drive just for recordings.
Not mandataory, but a nice thing to have.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!