[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause -- what does it mean, really?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 16:20:48 UTC 2007

At this point I have had liveTV running for almost 11 hours straight.
I have been asleep most of that time, but in the mythfrontend log
(back to "normal" log level, no switches), I see that it went from
12:30AM until 10:50AM with no messages -- which is when I changed the
channel, and did get one pair of "prebuffering pause / Prebuffer: wait
timed out 10 times" messages.  No visible hiccup though, and I'm going
to leave it here a few more hours and see how it plays.

Last night I turned GLX back on (because it hadn't helped), and I
tuned my mysql config.  I think this may have been what really helped,
but we'll see.  This is what I added to the mysqld section of
/etc/my.cnf (based on what I found searching the list archive):

key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 8M
table_cache = 128
sort_buffer_size = 16M
net_buffer_length = 8M
thread_cache_size = 4
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_size = 4M

As a side effect, this makes mythweb much speedier due to query
caching.  But only time will tell if this is the true fix for my
freezing.  OH, and I checked temps, and my cores never go above 48
celcius during playback.  So I ran a myth svn compile, and they maxed
at 58 celsius, tops.  And this is still with cpuspeed disabled.