[mythtv-users] PS3 as FrontEnd

Peter Watkins peterw at tux.org
Sun Mar 18 14:06:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 06:08:31PM -0600, Brian Wood wrote:

> Using the X11 video output, looks like the machine is just plain fast
> enough to play it without any help from the GPU, not even XV.
>
> I will say that I could keep a cup of coffee hot on top of the thing
> though :-)

Apparently! According to this site:
  http://ps3.qj.net/The-PS3-eats-watts-some-power-usage-figures/pg/49/aid/74602
the PS3 uses between 185 and 205 watts when displaying its dashboard or
playing a game. That's more than my backend server.

I'm glad most of my shows are SD, so I can watch nearly anything on either
my beefy BE or my 3 watt MediaMVP running MVPMC as an alternative Myth FE!

-Peter