[mythtv-users] Recording programs that I need to go through menus to get to

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 18 17:46:18 UTC 2007

On 03/16/2007 08:02 AM, David Kramer wrote:
> I have to use my cable box to change channels, and I have an IR blaster
> and channel changing script to do that.  There are some programs I need
> to go though menus to get to (Comcast On Demand).  I doubt there's a way
> in Myth to do that as is.
>
> I thought of two possibilities:
>
> - Somehow add a phoney channel to myth, and change the channel changing
> script to do nothing when it sees that channel.  I would have to
> manually go to the program on the cable box.
>
> - Somehow add a phoney channel to myth, and change the channel changing
> script to go through the menus to that program when it sees that channel.
>
> Before I do that, I would like to hear what others do.  Also, is there
> already some mechanism for recording something automatically without
> changing the channel?

Since you won't have guide data for the channel, the approach you
specify is probably the best (and it will allow you to give good
titles/subtitles to your recordings).  (Actually, the best approach
would be to script the commands in such a way that they can be sent to
the STB automatically, but that's an exercise left to the reader--who's
likely to figure out that the best isn't worth the cost when good enough
is so much easier.)  For more information on this approach, see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857 .

Mike