[mythtv-users] No sound nforce2 using SPDIF

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 19 11:44:55 UTC 2007

Jason Portwood wrote:
> I'm still not able to get SPDIF to work with MythTV.
>
> I modified my asound.conf to read
>
> pcm.!default {
>        type plug
>        slave.pcm "spdif"
>        slave.rate 48000
>
> }
>
> Sound still works system wide except in MythTV.
>
> I think the problem may be that ALSA support isn't enabled in MythTV.
> Could this be the case and I just need to compile it instead of using a
> package?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Its not likely that your package came without alsa support compiled in.
Sounds like you just dont have things set up right in mythtv. From my
experience you should set the sound device to ALSA:spdif, set the mixer
to DEFAULT, disable the internal volume controls and turn off both ac3
and dts passthru options. That should get default sound working thru the
spdif link. Once the basics are working, turn the passthru's back on and
verify you can play both audio formats. You may need to try a different
asound.conf (the one at the wilsonet howto seems to work well for
most.). One that handles conversion of different bitrates to the
defaults required for spdif. Mythtv frequently uses a 32000 bit rate
that will not play thru spdif without conversion.