[mythtv-users] US Gov gives $80 credit towards purchase of HD equipment??

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 19 15:26:06 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:10 AM, Craig Partin wrote:

>> It's just easier than tackling health care...
>
> Sure, because we should not think about anything else while we worry
> about public health.  Congress made these decisions about the airwaves
> almost 20 years ago and now are forcing the slow TV industry to live
> up to their end of the bargain.
>
> Should we force low income people to buy a new TV when the switch
> happens?

No. Neither should we force high-income people to do so.

The government is, by implication, calling a TV a "necessity" and not
a luxury. Not long ago a telephone was a "luxury" and we now have
programs to aid the poor in obtaining this "necessity of life", at
least for emergency purposes.

But if you are dead due to lack of medical care, or even lack of
proper nutrition, arguing over whether a TV or a phone is a luxury or
a need is pretty silly.

A TV set can be used by politicians to attempt to control the public,
and is thus a "necessity" in their minds, while what you have to pay
your doctor or hospital does not (as directly) affect their re-
election chances.

</soapbox>, and hopefully </thread>