[mythtv-users] can i get correct deinterlacing?

jason maxwell decepticon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:12:07 UTC 2007

I have a combined FE/BE system with lots of horsepower (AMD 4200+ X2,
1G DDR2 800). I'm feeding it a digital cable feed thru my HdHomerun.
I'm not encoding anything, just simple playback to 720p w/o XvMC.

I have tried all the combinations of decoding libraries and
deinterlacers. So far, the best quality in my opinion is standard
(ffmpeg) with linear. It typically looks very good. However, this
still gives me combing effects on some programs. I see a lot of
recommendations to use bob, but that makes it look like everything is
shivering in the cold to me. The other options also give sub par
results.

What other options do I have? I very, very rarely see any combing  or
other artifacts when watching 1080i cable plugged directly to my
native 720p qam equipped HDTV. Is a TV's deinterlacer really that
advanced? Is there any way to get my mythbox to match this quality?
thanks,
-J