[mythtv-users] Streaming Live TV

Jason Donahue mythtv at timekiller.org
Mon Mar 19 20:51:52 UTC 2007

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone has put together a package/howto for
streaming live to an outside client. i.e. streaming tv to your work
computer, or your mobile device (cell phone etc.)

Please note I
am not a noob asking if it can be done. I currently have a set of scripts
that accomplish this using vlc. But the main issue with my scripts are 1)
there is too much required from the command line - I want a more
click-and-go setup. and 2) My script does not let Myth know what i'm
doing. in other words, I attach to the tuner for livetv, and if myth needs
to record something, it errors because the tuner is already in use.

What I am looking for is if someone has already done the work (say
at a mythweb plugin) to handle streaming livetv and let myth know about
it.

I have tinkered with mythstream, and some other things I
found, but they work on recordings only, I want to stream live tv, and
have the ability to change the channel.

If no one has anything
already out there, I will start working on it - just hoping some of the
leg work is already done. I was thinking a script that logs into the
mythfrontend interface (port 6546 by default) and issues the 'jump livetv'
command, but I am not sure if there is a way to capture the video stream
and redirect through vlc - short of looking up the filename in the db and
externally running vlc on that (which I would want to avoid at all
costs).

Anyway - i've babbled enough, any input is appreciated.