[mythtv-users] Always prescaling theme images on startup

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 20 02:16:39 UTC 2007

On 03/19/2007 10:14 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Nope.  Myth /always/ assumes 4:3 themes use a reference size of 800x600
>>> and 16:9 themes use a reference size of 1280x720.
>>>
>> My plasma TV has a resolution of 1366x768. Is it better to try to get
>> X running with a resolution equal (or close) to that, or go with a
>> 1280x720 resolution as that's what MythTV  likes? This is a dedicated
>> Myth box and I don't use it for anything else.
>>

> For TV, depends on whether you prefer the scaling done by the TV or
> the scaling done by Xv. In the future Myth should have better quality
> scalers available, but these are still in heavy testing in an SVN
> branch. Until then I'll assume the TV has better scaling.

Although, note that if you prefer the scaling done by the TV and you run
X at 1280x720, you'll be using /both/ MythTV and the TV to do scaling of
video at any other resolution unless you also use XRandR (and don't mind
those annoying mode changes on your TV)...  Using both to scale should
be worse than using either one (if only one) to scale.

> For the menu I'd try both and see which you like more. In the menu the
> scaling isn't as much an issue, but the "extra" screen space may be
> useful.

Definitely agree--the scaling shouldn't be much of an issue in the menu.

Mike