[mythtv-users] Always prescaling theme images on startup

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 04:40:11 UTC 2007

> Although, note that if you prefer the scaling done by the TV and you run
> X at 1280x720, you'll be using /both/ MythTV and the TV to do scaling of
> video at any other resolution unless you also use XRandR (and don't mind
> those annoying mode changes on your TV)...  Using both to scale should
> be worse than using either one (if only one) to scale.

Sorry to be dumb on this - I guess picture scaling is an area of
MythTV I've never understood and I don't understand the implications
of decisions I may make.

My TV's best resolution is 1366 x 768 which isn't 16:9. I can't get a
modeline that works at that resolution anyway, so I ended up going for
1280x768 which was the closest I could get. MythTV seems to like 4:3
or 16:9 resolutions but that doesn't match my TV. So which to go with
- the one that more closely matches my TV's native resolution, or the
one that matches what MythTV likes? What impact on my viewing will my
decision make - will I see a difference in picture quality or will it
be so subtle that is just doesn't matter? And so what if both the TV
and MythTV do some scaling - again, how will that affect viewing
quality?

And is it a binary thing - the resolution is either bang on in which
case no scaling required, or it's not in which case scaling is
required (ie close just isn't good enough)?

Regards,
Phill