[mythtv-users] mythtv playing recording too fast on FC6

Fred Firestine ffluvssg1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 10:27:41 UTC 2007

Eureka, I think... I don't want to be too optimistic for the next 24
hours or so. If this did the trick, I will be ECSTATIC!

I am currently recording two shows at the same time, and as I view
them they seem to be normal speed. We'll see what they look like when
it's all done. Anyway, here are my steps:

PREP:

1. Backup your mythconverg database using mysqldump
2. Backup your recorded programs
3. Install FC6 and yum to the latest kernel
4. I discovered at this point I had the FC6 "586" installation bug
mentioned in Jarod's instructions, so I had to obtain the 686 kernel
and yum upgrade one more time...

MythTV Installation:

1. Follow Jarod's guide through step 10, until you do

# yum -y install ivtv-firmware
# yum -y install ivtv-kmdl-$KVER
# yum -y install ivtv_xdriver

Notice I DID NOT install video4linux-kml-$KVER. I have read some
suspicions by other people on this list that video4linux is causing
some problems and apparently it is overkill for the purpose of MythTV.
All that is needed is the saa7127 driver, so I followed the
instructions here to compile/install it separately:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/users/35059

(Note: Everywhere they use the kernel version, I substituted $KVER)

section and continue to the step where mythtvsetup is run the first
time. After you see the mythtvsetup menu, exit, restore your
mythconverg database, then run mythtvsetup again to check your
settings.

3. Continue with Jarod's guide to the end.

I'm still not sure what the problem is; but it seems that avoiding the
full video4linux install worked for me.

Thanks everyone for the info on this list! It wasn't easy but I did
find what I needed from posts past and present.

Fred