[mythtv-users] Link for Lirc compile problems on newer kernels

mike michaelachandler at cox.net
Tue Mar 20 13:44:25 UTC 2007

> >> I don't know about the debian way, but if done the right way, CVS LIRC
> >> works fine.  ;)  I've been using 2.6.20 (and up) with LIRC (including
> >> LIRC kernel modules) since the day 2.6.20 was released.  Before that, I
> >> was using 2.6.18 (in various point releases) with LIRC, so I've been
> >> using 2.6.18 and up on my Myth boxes since November of last year.
> >>
> >> In all that time, I've done nothing special for the build (other than
> >> downloading CVS versions of LIRC rather than released versions).
> >>
> >> Mike "not a Debian user, so I can't give specific help, but only
> >> encouragement" Dean
> >
> > Thanks for the encouragement, Michael...
> > I got lirc installed from the CVS sources, bad news is - I have no idea
> > why it finally did.
> >
> > On to getting my Hauppauge remote to work, so far, no luck there either,
> > but something's gotta give.
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
>
> I was able to build lirc cvs sources "The Debian Way".  Just grab the
> latest source diff and apply it to your cvs tree, update debian/changlog
> to reflect your version, and build.  IIRC I was still getting errors, I
> had to replace some undefined constant with GFP_KERNEL for every module.
Thanks Jon.

There is a lot to be said for the "debian way", in fact - it makes custom
building a kernel very easy. I had a lot more trouble getting mysql to work
than learning to build a kernel.

As far as LIRC, I (eventually) got it from CVS and following their
instructions. The remote works doing "cat /dev/lirc0",  but does nothing with
mythtv. I need to go back to google and look more, I guess.