[mythtv-users] Link for Lirc compile problems on newer kernels

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Mar 20 14:03:25 UTC 2007

mike napsal(a):
> Yep, that was a mess, alright.
> :)
> Thanks Dave, I did that , lirc worked for a bit, somehow. It showed output
> when doing 'cat /devl/lirc0'. but did nothing with mythtv. I am following the
> wiki:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PVR150_Remote
>
> Now It wont work, when I do "irw"
> localhost:/home/mike# irw
> connect: Connection refused
>
> (It used to work, I swear it did....)
> Damn...

OK, we're in the same boat.

I suspect what is happening is that the compilation fails to build the
lirc_XXX module properly.

When you run lircd, it starts up properly, but dies when you try to connect.

As root, start lircd using the -n option (do not daemonize):

lircd -n /etc/lircd.conf

then try to connect with irw or anything.  If you have the same problem
as I do, you will see the following output:

hermes:/home/mythtv# lircd -n /etc/lircd.conf
lircd: lircd(serial) ready
lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd: could not get file information for /dev/lirc
lircd: default_init(): No such file or directory
lircd: caught signal
Terminated

ISTR that 'default_init' is a module function????

That would indicate that something is really, really broken in the
module building process.

I am running the stock Debian Etch kernel, 2.6.18.1.

I gotta go to work (ARGH!) and it will be a while before I can look at
this again...  But see if during the module building or insertion it
complains about 'default_init'.

--Yan