[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:23:26 UTC 2007

> On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:41 AM, ryan patterson wrote:
> > I have a 1080p 47 inch LCD display and a PS3 that I watch blueray
> > disc on, so I think I can answer the question.  Speaking about
> > image quality: Blueray discs are significantly better then upscaled
> > DVD's.  There is no comparison between the two.  1080p blue ray
> > compared to OTA ATSC (720p or 1080i) there is much less of an
> > improvement but it is still noticeable.  Some ATSC recordings show
> > compression artifacts.  Like live sporting events often show
> > significantly noticeable artifacts.  So far blueray has no
> > artifacts.  Of course any lossless compression is capable of
> > artifacting.

I assume Mr. Patterson meant lossy compression is capable of artifacting.

> Movies may well, of course, have been encoded with multiple passes
> using the best gear available. Live events, must be encoded in real-
> time, and even with the best gear that limits what you can do.

at a given bitrate yes, but hardware compression is quite advanced,
and given enough bitrate room sports events would look much better.
Even a 10-20% increase in bitrate during football games would yield a
world of difference in quality. Watch HDNet's coverage of MLS or TNT's
coverage of the NBA for example, they both use a higher bitrate than
ABC/ESPN do for their HD (beyond the fact that they are 1080i instead
of 720p, they use a higher bitrate than the other 1080i broadcasters).

> Get used to it. Our parents lived with "snow" and we will learn to
> live with "artifacts".

only because cable companies refuse to offer quality of signal
assurance, or even try to fix signal quality issues.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!