[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:42:34 UTC 2007

On 3/20/07, Marco Nelissen <marcone at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> >I have a 1080p 47 inch LCD display and a PS3 that I watch blueray disc
> on,
> >so I think I can answer the question.  Speaking about image quality:
> Blueray
> >discs are significantly better then upscaled DVD's.  There is no
> comparison
> >between the two.  1080p blue ray compared to OTA ATSC (720p or 1080i)
> there
> >is much less of an improvement but it is still noticeable.  Some ATSC
> >recordings show compression artifacts.  Like live sporting events often
> show
> >significantly noticeable artifacts.  So far blueray has no artifacts.  Of
> >course any lossless compression is capable of artifacting.
>
> For what it's worth: I was at my local Fry's the other day, and they were
> showing off their various HD panels by playing "I, Robot" in high def.
> In the particular (action) scene that was playing when I walked by, I
> noticed quite severe compression artifacts (blocking). The picture was
> otherwise superb, it's just that in scenes with fast motion, blocking
> was quite apparent.

There is no high def version of "I Robot".  I assume your Fry's was playing
the DVD version which would in fact show a lot more artifacts then a
potential HD-DVD/blueray copy.  Or it could have just been the mediocre
special effects in that movie. . . rated two thumbs down, by me!

> > Of course any lossless compression is capable of
> > > artifacting.
>
> I assume Mr. Patterson meant lossy compression is capable of artifacting.

Whoops.  I did in fact mean lossy compression not lossless.  I take full
responsibility for any confusion resulting from my typo.