[mythtv-users] No /dev/dvb devices

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 20 18:55:55 UTC 2007

Anthony Messina wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 15:26 -0400, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> I assume, from what you write, that the system is happy with just
>> it should be happy to do that in modprobe.conf.
>>
>> So when do you load mythbackend? Before or after the cx88_dvb install?
>
> i have disabled the /etc/init.d/mythbackend startup script for now and
> in /etc/rc.d/rc.local i have:
>
> modprobe cx88-dvb
> service mythbackend start
>
> i had to hold off on starting mythbackend until cx88-dvb was loaded or
> it would not recognize that my pchdtv hd-5500 was present.

OK, this confirms my suspicion. I saw that the HD3000 was not recognized
on one of my re-boots, and I surmised, but never bothered to test, that
mythbackend must be started after the cx88_dvb module has been loaded.
Since I was right there, I just added s 'service mythbackend restart'
line to rc.local and left it at that.

'Restart' cleans up any leftover lock files and cruft which may be
lurking around from a prior crash etc.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury