[mythtv-users] US Gov gives $80 credit towards purchase of HD equipment??

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Mar 20 19:28:56 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 19, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
>
>> We have a >50year old Zenith on our back porch.  If I replace a 5u4
>> and
>> a 12au7, it will work again... for another 2 years.
>
> You can buy solid-state replacements for the 5U4 if you have trouble
> finding the actual tube.
>
> Depending on what it's doing in the circuit you may be able to use a
> 12AX7 in place of the 12AU7, both are dual triodes with the same
> basing, the differences are interelectrode capacitances,
> transconductance and a few other factors.
>
> I'm surprised the CRT is still good, make sure you adjust the
> permanent magnet ion trap properly to ensure continued life.
>
> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

My daily use TV is a Sony Trinitron 32" CRT which is now about 24 years
old..and still going strong. My wife says we will get an LCD 'when the
Sony dies'. I suspect however, that I will require the services of some
tent pegs and Buffy the Vampire Slayer to get that to happen...Unless I
can find some silver bullets.....

Geoff

             R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor