[mythtv-users] nfs related frontend issues

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed Mar 21 01:54:39 UTC 2007

Ian Forde wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 18:14 -0400, Rich West wrote:
>
>> R. G. Newbury wrote:

>>> Better yet, if you are running Fedora (or RedHat derived) run the
>>> program 'lokkit' and select the box to allow NFS. Lokkit is a small
>>> program to configure the firewall/iptables in Fedora.
>>>

>>> If you find that you cannot mount your NFS share, and get a 'permission
>>> denied' error, but that you can *then* get in, if you run 'iptables -F'
>>> on the NFS server end of the pair, then your firewall is set to refuse
>>> NFS access. Use lokkit.
>>>
>>> You should NOT just turn of iptables: That IS your firewall!
>>>
>> Off Topic, but if you are within your own internal (aka private) network
>> with a firewall between your network and the rest of the internet, there
>> is no need for individual firewalls on individual machines.
>>

> Actually, that's an individual choice, and a good basic security
> practice...

Now we're way off topic.  Let's try to keep within the realm of mythtv
rather than providing advice on non-myth related components.

I haven't seen any further responses from the original poster, so I can
only hope that they managed to work out the issue.  There isn't much
involved with an NFS setup:
o server (/etc/exports and the right rpc & nfs daemons running)
o client (/etc/fstab and the right rpc & nfs client daemons running)
If the original poster were using autofs (automounter), then that could
have an impact as well.

Personally, I'm NFS mounting my videos and music volumes on my FE's from
my main server (not my mythtv BE, but another machine) via autofs
(backed by LDAP) and I haven't run in to the issue that was listed.

Responders to the original posting suggested disabling iptables (aka:
the firewall), but did not add what appears to be the necessary
disclaimer which would state that disabling iptables would be used as a
method for _debugging_ the situation.  Since that disclaimer was implied
rather than stated, those messages were followed by a couple of panicky

So, in essence: disable the firewall, see if it makes a difference.  If
it doesn't, then it isn't related to the firewall in any way, and you
can choose to either re-enable it or leave it disabled (it is up to
you).  If it does make a difference, then the problem is with your
firewall and you will have to debug that further.

In either case, though, it is an OS level situation, not a MythTV one.

-Rich