[mythtv-users] Gnome + MythTv + Beryl problem with full screen

Alex Halovanic halovanic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 03:21:36 UTC 2007

I posted the me-to on the ticket, as all I wanted to do was point out
that it also affects panels in KDE so people don't think it's a
problem with GNOME's panels, and start wasting time digging through
the wrong code.

>If the WM doesn't let Myth use the full
>screen and the user wants Myth to use the full screen, whose fault is
>it?  (I'll give you a hint, it's either the WM or the user's fault, and
>we've all heard the saying, "The customer is always right.")

I  freeely admit that I don't know yet how exactly full-screen apps
work with X, or interact with window managers, but I don't follow that
it *must* be the WM's fault when myth is the only application I've
seen out of a dozen or so that acts this way.  It very well may be a
problem with Beryl or a problem between Beryl and Myth that's
neither's fault.

Letting windows cover up the panels is only a work-around, its not a
solution.  For some reason, mythfrontend is still being treated like a
regular window; for example, it can be moved around, and it refuses to
be "unredirected," which if possible, would probably improve playback
in beryl by reducing CPU usage.  All I know is I'll be trying to see
what I can find in Myth *and* Beryl.