[mythtv-users] Gnome + MythTv + Beryl problem with full screen

Janne Kalliokorpi janne.kalliokorpi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 07:09:56 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>On 03/20/2007 02:23 AM, Janne Kalliokorpi wrote:
>

>>Mark Kendall wrote:

>>>This has been covered recently:-
>>>
>>>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/254608?search_string=beryl;#254608
>>>

>>Yes, this is a solution if you are using KDE, but I haven't found this
>>"Allow other windows to cover the panel" in Gnome. Am I just being
>>blind ? :)
>>

>No.  You're just making other people do the search for you.
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/239570#239570  It
>wasn't even hard to think of the search terms--"GNOME beryl" (no quotes).
>
>Oh, and this is in NO way, whatsoever, a Myth issue (so please stop all
>the me-too posts on #3109).  If the WM doesn't let Myth use the full
>screen and the user wants Myth to use the full screen, whose fault is
>it?  (I'll give you a hint, it's either the WM or the user's fault, and
>we've all heard the saying, "The customer is always right.")
>
>If you don't like the hacks already mentioned on the list, my
>recommendation is to switch WM's.  And, even if you don't mind the hacks
>and want to continue using Beryl, I highly recommend dumping GNOME (or
>for others, KDE) and using the WM without a desktop environment.  If
>you're really looking for something to use up those resources on your
>computer, why not BOINC instead of a DE.  BOINC also has the benefit
>that it only uses otherwise unused resources--whereas GNOME and KDE use
>up resources that your other apps can often benefit from having.
>
>Mike

Well, for your information, I tried to find something like this for
several hours before I gave up. So thank you for the hint, I'll have to
try that today.

And you know, I have no idea what you mean by "me-too posts on #3109". I
can only assume that you think that I have spammed some place called
#3109 (list, forum, irc channel, no idea what you are talking about..)
with this question. Well, I can assure you that I have sent two (2)
posts about this matter to this mailing list and nowhere else.

Personally, I'm really not interested whos fault it is that I have those
damn panels. I'm just an end user who wants to look mythtv on fullscreen
and I thought that one could ask help with this kind of things in this
particular mailing list. Apparently I thought wrong.