[mythtv-users] MythVideo internal player vs mplayer / xine

James Warden warjamy at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 10:28:46 UTC 2007

Hi Rich,

I use xine for DVDs with the following options :
xine --no-splash -V xxmc --autoscan dvd -pfhq

--no-splash : you guessed it
-V xxmc : uses the XvMC extended video ouput driver
--autoscan will scan the DVD at startup
-pfhq means start playing at full screen, GUI hidden and quit at end of playing

I like xine for DVD playback. The 'a' key switches display formats (auto, square, 16:9, etc) very easily (faster than mythtv), the 'z' key zooms in the display (convenient when watching liveTV recordings to eliminate some jitter on the  bottom edge of the picture ('Z' zooms out).

Most of all, I never experience DVD playback hickups with xine. And all on-the-fly display format changes are smooth, no playback hickup either. Furthermore, with a right button click on the display, you get a menu where you can switch subtitles (language, on/off, etc), apply some video postprocessing on the fly,  and whatnot.

CPU usage is small as well :)

But of course, if you have stored DVD content on some NFS shares, then you will have to start xine slightly differently ... try 'man xine' ;)

J.

Rich West <Rich.West at wesmo.com> wrote: With my current install of MythTV, we pull all of our DVD's off of a
central NFS server as ISO images and play them via MythVideo's internal
player.

There's some nice features of MythVideo's internal player, such as the
ability to be "stretched" to fill the screen and its nice integration in
to the rest of MythTV.

However, since it has been installed (November '06), I've always noticed
that there is periodic hesitation and hiccups in the playback.  There
are a number of complaints like this in the archive as well, and a
number of responses suggested using mplayer (since it seems to
pre-buffer content) instead of the internal player.

Is this indeed the case?  98% of the DVD's we have on the home server
are just the movie itself (no menus or extras), so we really just need
the ability to pause, play, fast forward, reverse, skip forward/back
chapters, and fill the screen.    I'm just looking to smooth out the
playback, really..

The article at ExtremeTech
(http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2055340,00.asp) got me
thinking about using mplayer over the internal player.. :)

-Richwe