[mythtv-users] nfs related frontend issues

John Goulah jgoulah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:02:31 UTC 2007

On 3/21/07, John Goulah <jgoulah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian Forde wrote:

> about a
> and I
> music
> the
> dont have to
> ideas on

> stop".

> 'permission
> -F'
> refuse

> >> Off Topic, but if you are within your own internal (aka private)
> network
> >> with a firewall between your network and the rest of the internet,
> there
> >> is no need for individual firewalls on individual machines.
> >>

> > Actually, that's an individual choice, and a good basic security
> > practice...
>
> Now we're way off topic. Let's try to keep within the realm of mythtv
> rather than providing advice on non-myth related components.
>
> I haven't seen any further responses from the original poster, so I can
> only hope that they managed to work out the issue. There isn't much
> involved with an *NFS* setup:
> o server (/etc/exports and the right rpc & *nfs* daemons running)
> o client (/etc/fstab and the right rpc & *nfs* client daemons running)
> If the original poster were using autofs (automounter), then that could
> have an impact as well.
>
> Personally, I'm *NFS* mounting my videos and music volumes on my FE's from
>
> my main server (not my mythtv BE, but another machine) via autofs
> (backed by LDAP) and I haven't run in to the issue that was listed.
>
> Responders to the original posting suggested disabling iptables (aka:
> the firewall), but did not add what appears to be the necessary
> disclaimer which would state that disabling iptables would be used as a
> method for _debugging_ the situation. Since that disclaimer was implied
> rather than stated, those messages were followed by a couple of panicky
>
> So, in essence: disable the firewall, see if it makes a difference. If
> it doesn't, then it isn't related to the firewall in any way, and you
> can choose to either re-enable it or leave it disabled (it is up to
> you). If it does make a difference, then the problem is with your
> firewall and you will have to debug that further.
>
> In either case, though, it is an OS level situation, not a MythTV one.
>
> -Rich

Hi,

 Sorry for the slow reply.  I have the archving turned on for  mailing list
and for some reason I cant login and the send password isn't working.

Anyway, to clear a few things up:

 - I am running debian (not redhat) , no firewall is running b/c my  network
is internal and behind a firewall

Maybe we are onto something with the automount, I am mounting as an example
like this:

thecus:/raid/data/videos /mnt/thecus_video nfs
nfsvers=2,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft,auto,actimeo=0

I'm not seeing much in the logs but I'll take a closer look.  Should I
disable the automount and see if that helps?