[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause/CPU speed or memory issue; ATI remotes

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Wed Mar 21 18:06:15 UTC 2007

Hi all -

Just a quick note.

I recently picked up an Athlon-64 "Turion 4000+" CPU on the relatively
cheap from E-Bay.  This chip uses the same socket 754 as the desktop 3400+
Athlon-64 chip in my Myth box.  I bought it for the speed bump in addition
to the significant heat and power savings.  I'm not sure whether it has
more onboard cache than the desktop chip, but I think it might.  The 3400+
is a 2.4 GHz chip which I was running at a shade under 2.6.  The 4000+ is
a 2.6GHz chip which I'm running at 2.7.

With the 3400+, I would get frequent prebuffering pauses when watching
live or recorded HD shows at 720p or 1080i.  These usually weren't bad
enough to affect playback quality, but I would see them in the console
window after dropping out of mythfrontend.

With the new chip, I see almost none of these; may be one in an hour, max.

Nothing earth-shaking here, but that slight increase in speed seems to be
enough to eliminate the dropping of frames on my Myth system.  YMMV.

Bob

P.S.  I have an old ATI Remote Wonder remote in a drawer upstairs.  Anyone
used one of these with the SilverStone IR cases, and if so, care to share
your lircd.conf and .lircrc files?   :-)