[mythtv-users] Fox Chicago (WLFD) OTA HD - Nearly unwatchable

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:16:34 UTC 2007

I currently subscribe to Wide Open West (WOW).  It's a different
provider, but as far as I know, comcast should carry the HD over the
cable un-encrypted.  Here's what I did...

I plugged the coax into my tuner (KWorld ATSC-110.....the PCHDTV-5500
should be able to work too).  I then configured myth to scan all
channels and use QAM-256.  It picked up a bunch of channels, some
encrypted and some not.  I won't lie though, it took a couple of days
to figure things out.  I have to admit, the tools on the pchdtv web
site helped tremendously.  If I remember correctly, they have a
channel scanner.  When I used that, I figured out what kind of
compression to use (QAM-256).  I'd suggest checking out the
utils/tools on the site first...just to see if it works.  If
everything is good, then MythTV should work fine with it.

But as for your original question.  I live about 15 miles from the
sears tower and have an aerial antenna in my attic.  I would get some
channels, but not all, sometimes it would be pixelated, sometimes it
wouldn't...sometimes it's one channel and other times it's another.  I
was going to get the flat 'dish-like' antenna from best buy because I
was tired of it loosing reception.  I thought before I would buy it
though, I would try the cable...  and it worked.  So, i'm happy.  :-)