[mythtv-users] Blu-Ray/HD-DVD versus MythTV HD recordings

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Mar 21 21:23:45 UTC 2007

Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> says:
> So I spent an hour last night (just like I did 2 weeks ago) going
> through mythweb's list of all movies coming on in the next 2 weeks,
> while simultaneously using "Program Finder" to add them to my
> ever-growing "record once" list of shows.

Way ahead of you. I've been doing the "look over the list of movies
over the next two weeks and record the ones I'm interested in" pretty
much every two weeks since I bought a Series 1 TiVo almost seven years
ago. Despite the move from standard-definition to HDTV, the task in
many ways hasn't changed; both TiVo and MythTV use the same Tribune
Media Services guide data, and by now I can recite many a movie's
program description almost word for word. However, three wonderful
things about MythTV versus my old TiVo when doing this:

* The ability to collapse multiple showings of a program into one
  line. This alone saves enormous amounts of time.
* Multiple tuners, of course, but just as important . . .
* A remarkably-good scheduler that automatically juggles existing
  recording schedules and available tuners to figure out the optimal
  way to record all desired movies. "Record one instance of this
  program" and adjustable rule-, tuner-, resolution-, and
  channel-level priorities are such amazing godsends that I really
  don't know how I ever lived without them.