[mythtv-users] Just trying to maximize my mythtv setup

Al Banks ahbanks at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:59:50 UTC 2007

On 3/22/07, nasa01 at comcast.net <nasa01 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I figure I am SOL, but I wanted to make sure....
>
> I have the following MB, MSI K9N Platinum Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra
> MCP ATX AMD Motherboard -- which has firewire built-in.  I have a pvr-500
> and pchdtv5500 cards installed.  My service is provided by Comcast.  I am
> paying for Digital cable with a HDTV box.  Which has channels from 1 - 200+.
>
> What works:
>
> my pvr-500 works great -- I have it getting basic cable 1 - 78.
>
> What doesn't:
>
> pchdtv5500 -- I have scanned for channels using QAM-64 and QAM-256;  QAM-64
> didn't have any channels and every channel on QAM-256 was encrypted (the
> scan covered from 1 - 160?).
>
> firewire -- At no time have I been able to get any show broadcast over
> firewire, I can however change channels with no problems  :}   Trying
> firewire by following the wiki's located here:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/FireWire
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Firewire_Priming
>
> have only returned "failed" from both P2P and Broadcast.
>

> My questons:
>
> 1.  Does anyone have any experience with the firewire ports off of my
> motherboard?
>      -- I'm low on pci ports so I don't think I have a spot to add a
> firewire card.
> 2.  How do I scan for channels above the default (using QAM-256) as I think
> my HD channels are up there...
> 3.  Did I fail to try something that would help me out?
>

> I'm not to optimistic, but it doesn't hurt to ask....
>

> Nasa

You're ahead of me, but sound fairly close to where I'm headed with
the system I'm building.  I seem to recall reading that Comcast would
enable the Firewire port if you call, and are lucky enough to get a
rep that understands how to make it happen.

As far as encryption, I would imagine that premium channels will be
encrypted, and I would hope OTA channels would not be encrypted.  If
Comcast's encryption prevents you from recording any legitimate
channels, gripe to Comcast and the FCC (maybe even the local PSC, if
they have any pull)

OOC, what CPU do you have in your rig?  I keep going back and forth
between 64x2s and Opteron.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Do keep the list posted - I'll be curious to see how HD works for you.

ahbanks at gmail.com