[mythtv-users] Linux MCE project

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Mar 22 14:25:54 UTC 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 7:58 AM, David Campbell wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> On Mar 22, 2007, at 7:11 AM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like another Myth bundle is available.  This time on Ubunutu
>>>
>>> http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/03/21/linux-mce-looks-hot/
>>
>> A little over-enthusiastic on the presentation. All that working "out
>> of the box" is a little misleading I think, especially since there is
>> no "box".
>
> Have you used it?

No, I just saw the posting this morning and looked at their Video,
but I think I have enough experience with Linux and Myth to know that
handing that distribution to somebody with no Linux or Unix
experience at all would probably not lead to everything working "out
of the box". Knoppmyth and Mythdora both do a pretty good job of that
but a lot of folks still have problems with them.

I'll probably try loading it on a test machine to see just what it
can do, but finding the time will be hard.

The video was somewhat mis-leading. For example it stated that
Windows MCE will not show videos mounted on network drives, which is
completely untrue. It also stated that Linux MCE would
"automatically" find "all" of your media on network drives, flash
cards etc. If you have network storage set up so that it's so easily
discoverable without any authentication you probably have a potential
security mess.

>> Not that such a system can't be built, and I have no doubt that for
>> some folks it's a better solution than Windows-based systems, but
>> raising expectations *that* high is bound to lead to disappointment
>> for some, and probably a*lot* more traffic here :-)
>
> Surely a good thing?

Yes, to a point, as long as the new users realize they will have to
put in some effort.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org