[mythtv-users] Dual Hauppauge cards (150&500)

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 22 14:48:05 UTC 2007

Mark A. O'Neil wrote:
> On Mar 21, 2007, at 10:39 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> Adding something like the following at the end of the modprobe.conf
>> should work?:
>> # force tuner options for tuner cards
>> option tuner = 1,50,57
>
> Assuming for the moment that the 150 is always loaded first and the
> tuner_ids are as follows:
> PVR-150:  type = 50
> PVR-500: type = 57
>
> the options tag would be:
>
> options ivtv tuner=50,57,57
>
> correct?

Since I have never had this problem, I don't use the tuner option, but
this looks correct.
The only other point would be to see that the PVR500 is in a lower
numbered PCI slot than the PVR150, so it will be seen first by the
system. I don't know of any other method of determining the loading
order. It *IS* a computer, and therefore the order is deterministic but
the method used is kinda obscure for most of us.
At a guess, I would say that the card listed first in lspic will be the
one the computer ALWAYS finds first (assuming you do not swap slots).

My choice would be to put the PVR500 first, as if you can get it
working, you have 2 tuners. Then work on the options to add the PVR150.
So invert the order you give above  tuner=57,57,50

You may have to swap slots to get that to work.

If that does not work, you google 'ivtv tuner option', you will find
some wiki pages, one of which (about 3rd or 4th listed) discusses the
ordering for a manual modprobe (about ivtv version 3 or 4 or so)..But
you may want to try that sort of ordering to ensure that the firmware is
properly loaded if the 'automagic method (with tuner option) does not work.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor