[mythtv-users] HD success!

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Thu Mar 22 15:37:53 UTC 2007

I have 3 front ends in my system; one is based on an Athlon XP 2000+,
one is based on an Athlon 64 3200+, and one is based on an Intel PIII
(?) 1.4 GHz CPU with crappy i180 video.

The last one has not a chance of handling HD, but the Athlon XP 2000+
does quite well.  There is some chattering with liveTV, but recorded
shows work well and CPU usage is around 65%.  Since we don't want live
TV anyway, I really don't care.  I typically take the Watch TV option
out of the menu altogether.

The Athlon 64 system has been a problem.  It was based on an Asus K8N
mobo, and it wouldn't do HD no matter what.  It would skip and chatter
and CPU usage was at 100%.

I couldn't understand why a lowly Socket A Athlon could outperform a
mid-range 64 bit system that's clocked at 50% higher speed.

So this morning I tossed out the Asus mobo, and stuck in a Foxconn mobo,
and Bingo!  Perfect HD.  Not a skip, chop, chatter.  CPU usage down
around 35%.  We were watching PBS's Raptor Force and it was awesome!

So, just a heads-up if you're having trouble with your HD.  It may not
be the CPU horsepower, but the mobo that is lacking.  And for US$36.99
from Newegg, the fix is cheap.

--Yan