[mythtv-users] Mac Mini Core Solo as FE/BE Combo?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 22 16:45:40 UTC 2007

On Thursday 22 March 2007 11:02:13 Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> > As for my progress... I got the 2GB of RAM into my mini last night, and
> > at 1680x1050 resolution, playback of both 720p and 1080i stuff looks
> > damned good. Didn't check cpu usage, but I doubt its all that different
> > than before, likely just less iowait from swapping. Going to hook it up
> > to my 1080p HDTV tonight to see how it fares there...
>
> I don't know if you saw the other recent thread on this,  but the
> 1080p playback problems came up there, with a potential solution
> (changing the default refresh to 60 instead of 150):
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/258121#258121

Appears that's OS X specific, no? I'm planning to deploy this
into "production" running Linux. Hadn't seen that, but I'll keep it in mind.

> I'm traveling, so I haven't had a chance to test it myself, but if you
> still have 1080p playback problems, it's worth a try.  With my MacBook
> Pro (2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600 video) I was able to
> replicate the jumpy video at 1080p, when I get home I plan on testing
> the modification.
>
> Also - did you jump right to 2GB, or did you try 1GB?  My Mini works
> well with 1GB..  more memory is always better, but for others looking
> to get a new mini they may be able to get buy with a less expensive
> configuration.

My current frontend with 1GB swaps from time to time when using the
blootube-wide theme, so I just went straight to 2GB. Only $68 per 1GB stick
from newegg, though I believe my mini's warranty is now null and void... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com